No fewer than 73 victims of the herdsmen’s actions were buried at the weekend. Over 60,000 displaced persons are in five camps.
Confirming the development on Sunday, Ogbeh said he would join his kinsman in the Villa to proffer the way forward on the killings in the state.
“Yes, they just called to inform me that the governor and his entourage would be coming to have a meeting with the president on the attacks on farmers in the state”, he said.
Also speaking ahead of the meeting, the state governor, Ortom, said he had ordered the arrest of those instigating the Tiv-Hausa clash or any form of ethnic crisis.
Ortom demanded the arrest of the leaders of Miyyeti Allah Kautal Hore, especially its President Abdullahi Bello Bodejo, and National Secretary Saleh Alhassan.
Ortom said: “We are meeting on Monday. The stakeholders are going to meet with the President. The stakeholders will see whatever the Federal Government is able to put on the table and if the stakeholders accept, I will abide by it.
“It is Benue stakeholders. It is at our own instance; we requested that we are going to meet with him.
“So far, we have over 60,000 Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs), but we are still counting. We look forward to these people going back home very soon. Some had to run away out of fear because of the way these people came to attack. They came around 2am, 3am, 5am in the dead of the night.
“It was more of a guerrilla war against the people. In some cases, they did not even shoot guns so that the next person would not hear. They come to your house, wake you up and slash your throat.
“We are doing our best but the situation is under control. For the past four days, we had no news of any killings. It was only on Saturday that I heard that one person was killed. I am yet to get full briefing on that.”
Asked of what will be his response to offers by the Presidency, Ortom replied: “I am very open, I am a democratically elected governor; it is what the people want that I go with.
“So, if you are able to convince my people that we can tinker with the law or do whatever, I am ready to go. I have no hard feelings about it.
“I will do whatever can bring progress and stop these mindless killings whether they are Fulani or herdsmen, Hausa, Igbo or Tiv, Idoma or Igede; whatever can stop the killings, I am ready for it.”
The governor said he saw the killings coming and took proactive measures to alert the presidency and security agencies.
He said: “Yes, I saw it coming. The bill was signed into law on the 22nd of May 2017 and in June, Miyyeti Allah Kautal Hore did a press conference and threatened that they will not accept the law and the law will not be implemented in Benue State. Miyyeti Allah Kautal Hore.
“This was in the papers, they are on video, they are also on audio, it was an open thing; it wasn’t anything hidden. One would have expected that in a normal situation, the security agencies would have picked them because threatening not to obey the law and inciting people should an offence under the constitution of Nigeria. And this was not done.
“But as a law-abiding citizen, I decided to formally report them to the then Acting President in writing, the NSA, the Inspector-General of Police, the Directorate of State Service (DSS), and called for the arrest of the leaders. This never happened. They continued the threat and I reminded them again.
“Later, the President had come back. Again, in October, I wrote to the Presidency and all the security agencies, reminding them of the need to arrest these people. And these people continued with their threats that they will make it impossible to implement the law and that they will mobilise their people all over the world to come against us.”